Thursday, May 28, 2009

New tunes

I've been pondering music in church. Particularly new music.

I don't have a musical bone in my body and i don't pretend to. I can't play guitar nor piano. I wouldn't go near a microphone whilst singing. In fact, I'm so musically challenged, I'm starting to doubt my very salvation...

But i still wander about music, even in my ineptitude.

And as a hopeless wonder, i wonder how you introduce new songs? Especially if i was the poor guy stuck with leading the evening service (which may have been the case in one job description), how would I?

I ask because i can't imagine too many new tunes entering the evening service.

Too often churches lose their usual worship leader and are then lead by unnatural (or unwilling) worship leaders. So what happens? Do you just sing from the same song list for years? Do you only inject songs if there is an event like a camp or conference (and then it still depends on the musos getting it right)?

Again, no answers, just questions...

No comments: