Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Preaching playbook

This week I'm preaching at Balgowlah and i figured that now is as good a time as ever to say what steps i go through...

1. Pray

2. Read the passage (Hopefully you already have one) in the pew Bible (T/NIV) jotting down things/topics/ideas which jump out from the passage. Also skim the entire section from which the passage is found to put it into context.

3. Pray some more

4. Read the passage in alternate translation (NRSV, ESV, GNB, CEV, Amp, Msg), taking down more points, getting familiar with the passage and recognising any words which stand out or are different in various versions. Once thoroughly familiar with the passage and main ideas, illustrations and quotes from the media, books, my own and others experience will be sort.


5. Pray again (this is a continual trend… hopefully)

6. Read commentaries and books on the passage. Adding to the notes already taken, in an alternate coloured pen to distinguish what I started with (what my initial thoughts were). Here verse by verse exegesis of the passage would begin (unless the passage was longer than one chapter).


7. Search the Internet (eg BibleGateway.com, bible.org, sermonillustrations.com, sermoncertral.com) to find sermons on the topic/passage (but not longer than a few hours, again using a different coloured pen). This is to build on ideas or structure and pick up small snippets of information, not grab someone else’s thoughts. This is really helps to solidify your position about the message and anticipate any questions or objections.

8. Type/write out first draft in full


9. Practice delivering sermon, work on execution...

10. Make any amendments needed, space/bold document, create PowerPoint show, gather any required music, visual aids (cartoons, pictures, props)…

11. Execute Sermon

12. Edit sermon to match what was actually delivered, adding spur of the moment inclusions if worthy.

13. File the sermon under topic and Bible passage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a really comprehensive and helpful list, seriously. I am going to keep it in mind next time I preach.
It's much better than my list:
1. Pray
2. Write Sermon
3. Freak Out
4. PRAY
haha.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Claire, a very good list that will go on file for me as well.

However, I see that list and think that there's my entire working week gone.

I guess that one day when I work at a huge church and am employed just to preach then I'll follow the list.

Until then, I have to juggle scripture lesson and moving chairs.

-Liam