Thursday, September 4, 2008

Just a legal ceremony

I was wondering about non Christians and marriage.

From my point of view, marriage is a covenant made between a man and a woman, before God and a cloud of witnesses, to be lifelong partners. Both leave families to be joint together, as one flesh.

But from a nonbelievers point of view it should be little more than a lavish legal ceremony. You join bank accounts. You combine superannuation status.

With all the stress involved in planning a wedding (or at least Ange told me it was stressful), why would a non Christian bother? Especially if it involves exchanging vows before a God you don't think exists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For one reason I reckon it's for the legal reasons. Especially if tney wanna have kids.
Also I reckon the fact that the bride gets a day thats all her own is a big reason where everyone says how beautiful she is, is a big reason!