Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Sex questions

I heard this morning that one of my teenage leaders was asked about her sex life at the kids club this week. Needless to say I was not there and the reaction of the senior leader was being less than thrilled.

I can't remember a time when I was asked about my sex life as a youth group leader. Perhaps it happened and I've forgotten. What is more likely is that the kids knew I wasn't a much of a chance to "pick up."

The place where I get asked about my sex life is in scripture and I oscillate between two replies.

1 - DEFENCE: Do you ask the other teachers about their sex lives? Do you think that's appropriate? As your librarian the same question and tell me what she replies...

2 - HONESTY: Not graphic. Definitely not specific. But I'll say if I was a virgin on my wedding night and I'll say what decisions I had to make whilst I was dating. I'm not embarrassed about the answers. In this one specific area I did a decent job of doing what God calls me to do.

Personally, the topic doesn't fluster me (which I think is a big motivation behind the question) because my answers revolve around being smart enough to know where not to go. My answers revolve around it not being simple or easy to remain a virgin.

Usually, the scripture lesson then resumes regular broadcasting.

No comments: