Thursday, September 1, 2011

Arua obstacle?

As a youth minister, what I do takes a certain amount of skill. Not an insurmountable amount, but some.

To be a senior minister takes some certain talents. Not a barely possible mix, but some all the same.

To do many things during a church service takes some degree of proficiency. Not perfection, but it's sure nice not to suck.

I wonder, have those who do the "up front" stuff at church created an aura about what they do?
Do those who "watch" on any given Sunday think they are capable of doing the same things?
Are the actions of the "professionals" inhibitive to those in the pews?

I would like to say that those leading ministries and church services don't create an obstacle to others in the congregation. I would like to say that the perception of Super Christian doesn't exist in the eyes of the churchgoer.

But when I think about the excuses given as to why they aren't involved... "I couldn't to that" is a common reply.

Perhaps the message to those up the front is that the way we do things is more of an obstacle than an invitation.

No comments: