Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Original hearers regret

Next week I'm speaking at chapel for the school next door to church.

The last time I spoke over the three services, a few weeks ago, I felt a little sorry for the senior high girls.

The reason? They heard the talk first and over the three services the talk got progressively better.

The first hearers had to endure a dimly lit YouTube clip and an off-the-cuff joke that absolutely FLOPPED. I wasn't openly heckled, but it was my weakest chapel talk to date.

The day after, with the experience of the first under my belt, I transformed the introduction - ditching the clip, and felt much better about the flow of the talk.

Finally, by the time I gave the talk for the third time, everything went like clockwork. I hit all the high marks are actually received a sprinkling of applause.

It's not unusual, when confronted with a back-to-back presentation of the same talk, that the second one is better (at least from my point of view).

I wonder, at large churches where there are multiple services, do they record/televise the later ones to get better quality?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seniors are always the hardest crowd too.

Mars Hill also send out the best one, which may or may not be the last one, depending on the day.