Monday, March 7, 2011

Hero or personal benchmark

I don't have a best selling youth ministry book. I don't oversee a youth group of world renown. People aren't talking about me on the other side of the planet.

I'm not famous.
I'm not a ministry guru.

I'm not Doug Fields, Josh Griffin, Tim Schmoyer, Tim Hawkins, Ken Moser, or Tom French (that's right Tom, you're amongst the immortals!).

If I held myself up to their standards I would feel pretty crap.
An absolute failure.

The good thing is... I don't have to.

The standard I have to reach is not that of world renown.
The standard isn't the largest ministry in the county.
Or my city.
Or suburb.

The standard I need to aim for is myself.

The yardstick I should be measured against is the Graham-who-is-making-the-best-of-his-God-given-talents-and-potential. Or the youth-ministry-in-my-particular-context.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry Baldock, next time I'm overseas speaking at a massive international Youth Ministry conference, I'll talk about you and you too can join me in the pantheon of the greats.

G. HUBBARD said...

graham youth today hit by hard daily life questions needing answers from one they know and trust there 24-7-365, talks with not at them our free SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD program inspires daily talks YM now using our free blog posts for sermon/discussion topics get free copy of our song lyrics g.hubbard p.o. box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 http://talkwiththelord.blogspot.com/