Thursday, April 29, 2010

Leave it at the door

Whilst spending time with my niece yesterday, i think i embarrassed my sister.

To have Erin clean up her blocks (yeah, she's a girl, and we play blocks together...) i sang the clean up song. It's a simple tune - Everybody clean up, clean up, clean up. Everybody clean up and but the blocks away!

I sing, she dances and then we put a few blocks each into the container. Rinse and repeat until the floor is clean... from all 100 blocks.

The episode reminded me of a simple, but vital element when dealing with kids. Leave your awkwardness at the door.

Sing, dance, clap, make faces, be crazy... because they are kids... and they won't mind.

4 comments:

Nick said...

The easiest way to deal with Challenge Camp juniors - be crazy

Claire said...

When I teach my year one scripture class I seriously have this thought at the back of my mind most of the time; "I hope no one walks past right now"...

Claire said...

oh and don't forget to leave your dignity at the door with the awkwardness :P

Graham said...

Leave your dignity at the door was the original title for this post...