Monday, February 23, 2009

Jesus Saviour?

"One question I like to ask Christians that makes them wriggle is this:

If you could go back in time and successfully rescue Jesus from the crucifixion, would you do it?

I have yet to hear a Christian utter a yes that wasn’t then qualified into a no.

Me, I’d rescue the poor bastard in a heartbeat. Christians have no morals."

I just stumbled across this quote on an atheist blog.

The scene, in this case is the workplace so there is no forethought or prep... So here's my answer...

Quite simply, my answer is no. I wouldn't save Jesus.

Firstly, because i know me. I know that i would have deserted Jesus just as quickly as the other disciples. They travelled with Jesus for three years solid and left him at his greatest hour of need. Me, my dedication to Jesus wavers on most days ending in the letter y.

Secondly, I'm not sure i could stop the crucifixion. God, despite what we may think, is ultimately in control of history.

Third, Jesus isn't just the "poor bastard" victim in the equation of the cross. Sure, he was killed. But the cross is ultimately an expression of love in action. Jesus could have stopped the events of Easter, but he didn't.

With the realisation of the results that the cross achieved (a right relationship between us and God), I'm not sure he would want me to save him. He stopped Peter twice when he wanted to (even calling him Satan). Once when he wanted him to not head towards Jerusalem, and once when Peter was swinging his sword in the garden.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice rebuttal