Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Heaven troubles

Today i was troubled by a potential future enquiry. Now, it may just be me, but i feel that it would make many Christians feel uncomfortable.

The situation is this... You're at a funeral. A young kid comes up to you and asks... "is my (Mummy/Daddy/whomever's funeral it is) in heaven?"

I suppose i would say that the decision wasn't up to me (thus getting me off the hook) and that God, who is much more clever than me, would decide. From what we know God is fair and good and wants everyone to go to heaven.

But my answer sits awkwardly with me. Was the answer i gave actually biblically correct? Do i make God out as a softy? Should i avoid saying how God will decide? What age is it ok to mention that the answer depends on what they thought about Jesus? If the kid knows that their loved one didn't follow Jesus, does my answer just make God out to be a jerk in the eyes of the child?

I'm sure a better answer is floating out on the Internet, but there may not be a spare Internet portal available at the funeral.

No comments: