Saturday, October 15, 2011

The gift of study

Yesterday I handed in the final assignment of my first Bachelor of Theology subject (with my second subject due to be completed on Monday).

I remember, back when I was at college doing my diploma studies, someone said that the study ministers undertake is a gift.

Many won't have the opportunity, time or money to study theology and practical ministry and this study is a gift to those you will serve. It is a gift because you are in a privileged position that many don't get.

But a gift must be given and not horded.

For it is a gift that others deserve. Those who are ministered to in churches deserve those up the front to have thought deeply about what they believe. The community of believers deserve someone who has spent considerable time looking at the bible and church history to learn what they have to teach us about God, ourselves and the church.

No comments: