Thursday, October 13, 2011

Emergency church?

No one is a member of a hospital, but we know where our local one is. In an emergency, we know where to find it.
No one is a member of the local police station, but we all know how far away it is... just in case.

I wonder how many churches have "members" that only call upon it in an emergency?

How many member rolls are filled with those who only make contact when someone is born, needs to be baptised, is ready to have a wedding ceremony, gravely ill or just deceased?

Church is not meant to be a place which you have to "beak the glass of an emergency" to get in contact with.

In fact, the support a church community provides works much, much more effectively if you share all parts of your life, not just the moments of crisis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure, but "I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me." We're called to be there for those emergencies.

Graham said...

Absolutely agree. But the regular assistance that people need works best within the context of a relationship and when people think they are church members "for emergencies only," they miss a great deal that the church provides.