Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Safety Bieber

I don't like Justin Bieber. I don't hate Justin Bieber. I'm indifferent.

But I am not a 13 year old girl.

In a similar way, I'm pretty unmoved by a lot of things that realty interest children and teenagers.

I couldn't tell you what a Ben 10 is (or was?). Or a Dragonball Z. Or a Pokemon beyond Pikachu.
I don't know the names of the Bratz Dolls. Their big heads kinda freak me out and the thought that they had a movie made about them seems absurd.
I've never read a Twilight book and not even my wife (who has read them all) would endure the final film. I guess I'm team Jacob, but I wouldn't take a bullet for the bloke.
I've never, ever, read a Harry Potter book. Sure, I skimmed the part where Dumbledore dies, but that's it.
Tamagotchi's were stupid. As were the Power Rangers. Ditto for Pogs.
Heck, for me, the Spice Girls caught my attention due to anything BESIDES their music.

I'm sure my youth leaders also didn't have their world revolve around what I cared for when I was a youngster. But they didn't shut me down when I spoke about the object of my devotion.

For a children's ministry to be a save place, you sometimes need to endure a conversation about Katie Perry or (heaven forbid!) Justin.

And that's okay. It's important that they feel comfortable enough to share the things in their life that they find interesting.

Sure, occasionally, you need to speak up because a kid has a fondness for something harmful, but normally, the worst thing you can do is spew your adult venom over their latest fad.

No comments: