Thursday, July 28, 2011

70 hours wasted?

How important would you say it is for the youth minister to live close to church?

I've known youth ministers that lived a significant distance away from their church (including getting two modes of transport... one being a boat!) and others who lived next door to the church building. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I exist somewhere in the middle... just over 30 minutes from church... nearly 60 in peak hour (which I tend to avoid).

Whilst driving to work this morning it occurred to me that I could save a heap of time (in the ball-park of 90 minutes per week) if I lived closer to church.

Am I wasting that travel time?

In reality, it only costs me in the morning. Wherever I lived I would leave home at the same time and leave the office around the same time. I would arrive at church earlier, but "punch out" at the reciprocal hour that I do now.

If I were full-time at a church then it is reasonable for the church to expect their youth minster to live nearby. If you're going to work 40-50 hours a week, and be available for "impromptu" or irregular ministry opportunities, then proximity is important.

You don't necessarily want to drive 40 minutes to drop in on a sporting event, play, church garage sale or working bee.

But in a part time setting there must be flexibility. In fact, it is the price a church often pays when they go down the "we pay by hours-per-week" route.

So, is my travel time wasted? I'm not sure. Sometimes the drive to and from work makes my ministry healthier. It creates a definite space between my church and my family. With the cleansing drive behind me, my head is often in a better place to function at both church and home.

No comments: