Saturday, July 30, 2011

Breaking in the newbie

Last week my minister announced to the congregation that he had accepted a new position as a school chaplain and that he would be leaving in a few months.

This puts me in a new position because I've never been actively involved in a church (never mind being on staff!) when a new minister has arrived.

I've never had to break a fresh one in. Sure, I've been on the other end of the rope and newly arrived on the scene, but never the reverse.

What should I do? What expectations are there on me?

Hopefully, by the end of the year, I will have a new co-worker.

When I consider this, in light of a new youth minister popping up down the road, here's what I think would be a good game plan.

Time - Meet with the new person. Often. Not a stalking amount, but enough to develop a healthy working relationship. Start to get a grasp on their understanding of God, their journey with Him and their calling into ministry.

Fun - Get to know the person as more than "the minister." Don't let the initial few months be nothing but stress and meetings that require minute taking.

Grace - Give the new person space to find their feet. Even allow them a miss-step or two.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You define grace as allowing "a miss-step or two"?

You tough.