Friday, May 27, 2011

SlutWalking down George St

Caution: This will, most likely, be a poorly thought our ramble. But it''s my blog and my blend of half baked thoughts...

I AM A SLUT AND PROUD OF IT
SLUTS HAVE DREAMS TOO

On June 13 (read why here), a woman could walk down the main road of Sydney displaying the above slogans and fit in.

Let me be clear about a few things... I am all for non-violence against women and rape is never, ever acceptable nor right.

SlutWalk (check out their website, FaceBook page and Wikipedia site), as an idea, is pretty good. It was born from justifiable outrage.

But the name sucks and I struggle to see any redeeming features in it.

Could I be wrong? Perhaps, but I struggle to see how. Sure, it was based off a quote, but this isn't immediately obvious. If the event is to raise awareness of the value, rights and dignity that women intrinsically have, then is branding yourself a slut or "reclaiming the word" the way to achieve it?

I wonder how many parents want their daughter to be a "sexually empowered" slut? Is that how we want "Daddy's little girl" to grow up? I wonder when, as a society, we figured that was something we would be okay with?

No comments: