Monday, May 30, 2011

Increasing our perspective of God

Today I chatted with a few kids about how God revealing himself being similar to how you may get to know me.

You can know some things about me just by looking at me. I'm a guy in my mid-late 20's. I'm married. Baldness runs in my family. But there would be lots of gaps, like what my character is like.

You can know more about me if you, for example, read my blog. You'll know what I do for a job and what I think about the church and ministry. You'll know more about my family and even the name and tribulations of my first car. But you will still have a limited perspective.

You would know me the best if we spent time together and I told you about myself.

The same is true with God.

You can know some things about God from creation. He is creative, He is powerful... But you're knowledge about God would be limited.

You can know God better by reading the Old Testament and seeing how He relates to the patriarchs and the Hebrew nation. But some of your questions will be missed.

God shows Himself fully by becoming flesh and revealing who He is. Our view of God is increased by the way He lived as a man. God discloses more of His character as the invisible becomes the visible.

This is what the start of Hebrews is trying to get at...

No comments: