Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Osama reaction

Note: I am not am American. I did watch the events of 9/11, but it was on television... 16,000km away. I don't think I know anyone who is/has been on active serive in Afganistan. I do not know anyone who has been killed in battle, or a terrorist attack in American, London, Spain or Indonesia.

This morning I was expecting to hear about death in the morning news.

Lybia, Egypt, Yeman, Iran, Iraq, Saudia Arabia, Syria, Afganistan, Indonesia... somewhere. Somewhere there would be an attack on an American embassy.

Fortunetly the news only told me, again, about the death of a mass murderer in Pakistan and dancing in the streets in Washington.

The whole episdoe has made me feel uneasy since I heard about it and the reactions it has caused.

To celebrate the increased chance that there will peace in the world is fine. To feel that a small measure of justice has come about for the near 3,000 people who died on 9/11... okay.

To celebrating the chance for their troops to return home (which is only somewhat true since the Allied forces are fighting a diffent enemy in the Talaban) seems right. Perhaps some knew people who had been killed on wounded in the "war on terror."

But mass dancing in the streets and celebrating someones violent death seems... unsettling. Especially when there was outrage when similar scenes happened from a minority of people after 9/11 in some countries.

Personally, it would have been great for Osama to be caught and tried for this crimes. If justice was what the victims families were after, this would have been a better ending. But life isn't always that clean cut.

The figurehead of world terrorism is no more. Good.
Even if he was not the mastermind in recent years. The world seems like a slightly safer place.
If terrorism was a snake, it just got decapitated. I just don't know if another one head or five will sprout.

One thing I am sure of... I wish the reaction on the streets was more comforting. I wish I wasn't so disturbed that this happened after a wrestling PPV. Announcing a death to a live crowd of predominately kids, and everyone cheering, seems kinda wrong....

To end on a lighter note... This did make me giggle. I got it from here...
So the US have buried Osama at sea....they also buried Megatron at sea...and we all know how that turned out...

No comments: