Sunday, May 15, 2011

I don't know

It should all be over by now (I'm writing on the 21st, despite this post going up a few days earlier)... depending on the international dateline.

The world should have ended today according to this guy, I find it ironic that my next guest post on More than DodgeBall was due to be posted on the date that the Apocalypse is due (I'll post on that tomorrow). If the world does fall into an abysmal mess, then here is what I posted...

I once lead an evening service at my home church and plainly said "I don't know". I had just taken over from my long-term youth minister and was out of my depth. I was in my first ministry position and felt I had no clear vision or direction for the juggernaut that was placed in my lap.

We've all been there. Probably more than once.

When attendance at youth group seemingly drops for no reason…
Or the reason teens seem to be dropping out seemed unavoidable...
When your small group is on the brink of you and two others... again...
When a parent asks you "Why doesn't my kid believe in Jesus yet?"...
When a kind congregant ponders "Where are all the young people you're meant to be working with?"...
When your fears of TOO MANY kids attending are realised (a great problem!)...
When you feel like you're barely holding it together...
When your well laid plans for the week/quarter/year are tossed into chaos...
When you look out at a church service and sense nothing but empty chairs...
When great people move on and don't seem to be replaced...
When you're patiently waiting on God to reveal the next step...

At these times, and a thousand others in ministry, you look skyward and whisper "I don't know..."
At these times you want to shout at the heavens "God! What are you doing?”
When you gaze into your answer depository and find it's as empty as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

Keep trusting God.
Know that He is still faithful.
Hold firm that He is still good.
Draw near to God.
Keep expectantly waiting.

I don't write this because I've got it figured out. I don't. In fact, I seem to be quite a distance from possessing many of the answers that will allow me a better nights sleep, but stay true the calling God has placed you your life.

It’s worth pressing on, through these “I don’t know times” times, to see what God has in store. Quite often, the answer God has isn't the one you’d meticulously crafted anyway...

No comments: