Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What if i had said yes?

Over the last few weeks "choose your own adventure" books have popped up in the conversation a couple of times.

The concept of the books is simple. You "participate in the story by making choices that affect the course of the narrative, which branches down various paths through the use of numbered paragraphs or pages." (Thanks Wikipedia!)

The concept has been bouncing around my head for the last week. Why? Because it is the third anniversary of "Why i said no."

In 2008 i declined a youth ministry position at a relatively strong and renowned church in Sydney. And i wonder what would have happened if i had accepted.

Sure, the reasons that i had (as you can read in the post) are as valid and correct today as every, but i still wonder...

Would i even have this blog? Since it came about from my time reading water meters.

How would the additional distance from my family have affected my Dad's passing? Since i was local, i was able to be with Dad in his final hours at home and at the hospital. My sister, who was only 30 minutes away (less time than i would have been in my alternate position), arrived at the hospital too late.

How would the distance from both our families have affected how my wife and i dealt with our two miscarriages from last year?

How would my ministry be different if i hadn't gone 8 months without a job and had a 9 month interim position before my current one?

I don't look back with regret, but I'm curious what the outcome would have been...

No comments: