Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rinse and repeat

I remember a story about a bloke in ministry who was meeting with his mentor. The minister was looking at applying for a position at yet another church.

The job description said that they desired someone who had ten years ministry experience. In the ministers mind, he fit the bill rather well.

He had been working at churches for nearly a dozen years, spanning 5 churches.

His mentor said calmly that he wasn't qualified. In fact, the aspirational minister barely had three years of experience.

Confused, the youngster asked for clarification.

The answer lay, he has told, in his Gypsy-like transitions. The young minister would never stay in one placement more than a few years. And when he arrived at his new patch he would copy what was done at his previous churches.

Why does this story stick in my mind? Because i wonder how much experience i have due to the multiplication and reproduction of what I've done in the past.

I've taught the same scripture lessons over the last three years (only a few of the gems). And the occasional youth group series.

Tonight I'm replaying a church service that I've run many times, just not at my new church.

Additionally, I'm hoping to run a young adult culture study that I've run at both of my prior churches.

Sure, these are a long shot from everything that i would do in a year, but I'm bothered that it feels like I'm already down to the "greatest hits."

No comments: