Thursday, October 16, 2008

Blokes and their tomfoolery

Yesterday at small group it was mentioned that when guys get together in a youth ministry setting they turn all macho and generally "throwing a ball at you head"y.

It made me think of two instances that warmed my heart...

First was the birth of what became known as "the game." One afternoon, years ago at a discipling group, it was just myself, two guys in the group and my youth minister at the time. That afternoon we spent hours just whacking a nipple ball at each other with hockey sticks. Needless to say... it was awesome.

Secondly, a night that my stomach will never forgive me for. One night at the guys small group we decided, in our infinite wisdom, to have a batter sav nite. For the uninitiated, battered savs are like the hotdogs of the seafood world. That evening the guys split a dozen of the slimy critters. Needless to say... it was awesome.

In ministry I believe there is space to just be silly. To do stupid things that will create memories together, no added agendas. Just plain shenanigans...

No comments: