Friday, May 15, 2015

Would the youth group notice if it went on a diet?

I buy the supper for our youth group almost every week.
It's nothing special, but the staples that get rotated are... crisps, popcorn, confectionary, cookies, fairy floss, pancakes, ice cream and soft drink.

As you can see, all the essentials of a healthy diet are covered.

But, I wonder what would happen if I put my youth group on a sugar free, fat free, nothing processed, non-voluntary diet?

Would they even notice?
Would they handle it well?
Could I?

My Friday shopping trips would definitely be more of a challenge.
The weekly weird food would certainly be more difficult to find.
And probably more expensive.

In our children's ministry we cut the cordial from afternoon tea and the kids barely noticed.

But, I imagine many youth groups would openly rebel without a regular diet of pizza, saturated fat, artificial sweeteners and heavily processed foods.

But, in light of growing youth obesity and the mandate for us to take care of the bodies God has given us, should it be a part of our role to avoid just feeding them things from the top of the food pyramid and set a better example?

No comments: