Monday, May 18, 2015

I don't want the piano man

Last week I took my youth group to a local evangelistic event. For many of my youth, this was unlike any church service they'd ever experienced before.

Now, no one was falling over, laughing hysterically or baring like a dog, but it was certainly a different flavor than many conservative mainline churches.

Personally, while not my preferred style of church, it wasn't unfamiliar for me.

There was plenty of energy in the room...
A giving address...
People shouting encouragement during the talk...
A every-head-bowed-eyes-closed-raise-your-hand response time...

And the thing which would disturb me incredibly if I was up the front...
Music in the background when people were speaking.

Just a few notes...
On the piano...
Repeated...
Slowly.

I wonder, if I were speaking, would I have had the guts to ask the host to desist the practice for the night?
Worse still, if I forgot or this request was ignored, would I openly ask the pianist to be quiet?

Really I don't have a massive problem with some quiet background music - I don't find it too manipulative - but it would be something which would distract ME.

So, in the name of owning the room and making me feel comfortable, would I be within my rights to ask the ivory-tickler to cool their jets?

No comments: