Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Church adjusting for the expected crowd

Yesterday I was asked, in response to my post about attracting additional families for our Father's Day Fry Up... Did we adjust 'church' since we expectated more families?

And honestly... as far as I know… the answer is... Not really (if we did I wasn't in on the change of plans!).

Addmittedly, I was out preparing breakfast with the kids all morning so I may have missed the many Father's Day slanted elements of the service, but there (to my knowledge) wasn't a great deal of additional, family focused, preperation for the service.
The querry made me realise the blind spot which many ministers have; they are oblivious to the stuff which happens in the next neighbourhood to "their patch.
Youth ministers aren't alert to the kids or young adult ministry.
The youth minister doesn't avoid clashes with what the local school ministeries are doing.
The family worker doesn't seek to forge strong connections with the youth ministry.
I'll admit, I now wish I was more aware of what was going on "on the edges" of my activity. Maybe they I would have asked the same question about adjusting 'church'.
I must have been distracted by the thought of bacon...

No comments: