Thursday, September 13, 2012

Beyond a good story

My final storytelling nugget of wisdom, following on from "don't be the expert" and "engage the mind's vocabulary," is this...

Remember that the point of the story is not just a good yarn.

Sometimes we fall into the trap that a rip fantastic story is the finish line.

I know I've been guilty of it.

I've finished a scripture lesson, having done an incredible song-and-dance... but ran out of time for the "God bit" which made the story so important.
I've given a powerful, moving, humorous sermon illustration... for it to be the only part of the sermon remembered the next day.

We need to keep the REASON BEHIND the story at the forefront of our minds so it doesn't overshadow the communication mechanism.

Actually... that reminds me of something I heard about Veggie Tales... But I'll share that in my next post.

No comments: