Monday, August 29, 2011

Aiming for a pass?

I've just submitted my first assignment for the course that I'm currently doing at university. And, truthfully, I'm hoping for a pass. But not much more. Sure, I want to do well and good marks are pleasing, but I'm a realist.

I would love to say that what I handed in was a literary masterclass. It wasn't. It may be due to the lectures only winding down last week, or that I had to write the entire essay today in my office (on the due date!), or that I have the phrase "P's equal degrees" in my vernacular, but it wasn't a grand entrance back into academia.

I wonder if I, and the church, hold a similar view when it comes to people and ministry.

We aim for a pass. We aim for good enough. We strive for keep-the-kids-out-of-trouble-so-their-not-sleeping-around-or-getting-too-drunk-on-the-weekend.

I mentioned in conversation last week that our standards are too low and compared it to the standards that Islam seems to hold for it's followers.

Looking from the rather ill informed, outside-looking-in vantage point, from what I can tell they wouldn't sit happily with a pass conceded grade in terms of their faith.

They demand more from their followers. They expect more from their followers. Often they receive more from their followers.

Perhaps, in that, there is a lesson for the Christian church and a challenge for those in ministry...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"They demand more from their followers. They expect more from their followers. Often they receive more from their followers."

Perhaps. But on the other hand Christians are the beneficiaries of God's grace...

Graham said...

All I'm saying is that perhaps we could aim above make-sure-the-kids-don't-get-stabbed-in-school.

The reason I think about Islam when discussiong this topic is because the reason that some think it's a poor idea. Some hold that it will "scare young people off."

I'm inclined to think quite the opposite. People are willing to step up the mark, perhaps the church shouldn't be afraid to raise the bar a tad higher that it often does.