Friday, April 8, 2011

Square shoulds for a round hole

I SHOULD do a lot.

I should have more kids on a Friday night.
I should be a more captivating speaker.
I should have more blog readers (I love you all!!!).
I should be more popular.
I should be able to play the guitar. And play 500.
I should be like Doug Fields. Or Rick Warren. Or Bill Hybels. Or Brian Houston. Or the youth minister down the street with the successful youth ministry.

These are just some of the things that the voice inside my head says I SHOULD be. And whenever I rate myself against this scale I fall woefully short.

The reason? I often have the wrong sized "shoulds" for who I am meant to be and where God has placed me to minister.

Really, the only thing I should be is who God made, shaped and calls me to be. It is not to be Doug. It is not to be Rick. It is not to be Bill. It is not to be Brian.

It is to be Graham. That is who I SHOULD be...

No comments: