Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Golf Club Church

Over my years of blogging I've mentioned a golf club that I go to for a few quiet refreshments. The club is nothing spectacular, but it has cheep beer and is always a good place for a chin wag.

I've been going to the club for a few years, drawn in my a mate, and it stuns me how the golf club is similar to a church.

First, the club is made up of predominately elderly people. They are active, but they would all be eligible for the Masters Olympics. Sure, there are some young people, but they are in the minority.

Second, there are regulars. The same people, at the usual table, standing in roughly the same spots.

Third, there is plenty of gossip, bitching and general moaning.

Fourth, the regulars seem to (alongside the ribbing), genuinely care for each other. Every so often you will catch a glimpse of meaningful concern for what is going on at work or within their marriages.

Fifth, money is a continuing issue. There is ongoing budget stress and this is sensed around the club. Especially amongst the staff.

Sixth, the staff seem to be (somewhat) under appreciated and stuck in a rut.

There have been numerous times when I could shut my eyes and hardly tell the difference between the golf club and a church. Whether it is a complaining staff member who is overworked, the stream of meetings, the politics, the rumours or the concern about the clubs longevity, I wonder how those within the club would feel that they are actually in a church setting.

Only they talk about golf, not God...

No comments: