Sunday, November 28, 2010

Regretable family holz?

My wife and i just got back from having a night in the city, and my mind has wandered towards holidays and camps.

With my history of youth ministry and church, I've been associated with plenty of camps. Almost without failure, a family/child won't attend due to a family holiday.

But i am increasingly less frustrated by this occurrence.

Sure, not all family vacations are journeys that are looked forward to or a time of bonding. But in my ministry experience, many are.

And what would be worse? A kid misses a camp to go on holidays with his family, or a teen who comes on camp but has no real connection or meaningfully shared experiences with his/her family?

I'll pay the price of occasionally annoyance for a child to have a healthy family relationship.

No comments: