Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Putting on a Greek play

At the moment i have a pain in my mouth and a white mask in my office. Both are connected.

A week ago i bit the inside of my cheek and since then it's troubled me whenever i eat or speak for extended periods. Whenever i chew on my right side, or eat something salty, i notice my cheek. If you listen carefully, i will have a slight lisp because the wound inside my cheek effects how i pronounce certain words.

But you probably wouldn't know it. I'm hiding it well.

And this is where the mask kicks in.

Last weekend i spoke on Matthew 23 and my first talk was about the way that Jesus spoke against the hypocrisy of his audience. In the talk i used a Greek theatre mask as a prop.


The term hypocrisy come from Greek theatre and it refers to the dual nature of the actors. They had an exterior face and an interior identity.

The mask in my office reminds me to not wear a false exterior at work. To avoid being a hypocrite. To not wear a mask.

No comments: