Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lone trys, saving the game and 2-3

Today, as i go through my final day as a 26 year old, it occurred to me that i haven't played competitive sport for almost a decade (yes we did play ultimate frisbee, but at the level we played, we weren't exactly competitive).

As i reminisce about my sporting prowess three events pop to mind.

The first is my lone Rugby Union try. Yes, in playing for more than 10 years, and over 100 games, i only crossed the stripe once. It was in the under 9's (?) against Collaroy. We had never beaten them and had a quite a rivalry building up between the teams. On that fateful day we beat them and i scored the first try of the game. I would love to say that my effort was the stuff of legend and is talked about by elderly gentlemen over a beer at BBQ's. I would love to say that i ran the length of the field, or chipped and chased, or even side-stepped half the opposition side, but alas that's not the case. Instead, from a scrum, five meters out from their line, their fly-half dropped the ball and i picked it up and scampered a few meters to score.

The worst part? My Dad wasn't there to see it. I don't know where he was, or where he went, but he missed it.

My other two achievements come from my short lived cricket career. To be truthful, i wasn't all that great. Sure, i couldn't see the ball, but that just made batting all the more exciting.

I battered last and on one occasion, i saved the game. I had to face the final over and i held out. It was blocking and leaving the ball at it's finest.

Finally, i topped the stat sheet for bowling. Did i bowl often? No. Did i bowl more than once? No. Did i bowl for more than an over? No. But when i did, i got the figures of 2-3. Two wickets for only three runs.

And that's about it... Did we win premierships? Yep. Do i have a stack of trophies at home? Sure. Was i a major contributor? Not exactly.

No comments: