Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Why I do housework

Whilst not being increasingly annoyed at work today by canines, my mind wandered to domestic duties.

I remembered what had to be done around the house. There were dishes to be done, laundry to do, bills to pay... All the routines of boring normality.

When i lived with my parents i wasn't exactly a domesticated male. I did little around the home.

But how things have changed. Now i have no problem doing the chores... and it is because of the principal of "buy in".

If i don't do housework, which I'm aware my wife can't get around to, then i go without. It costs me something. I am inconvenienced. I have no clothes to wear, nothing to eat off or angry men coming to break my legs.

In a strange way, the same thing works in ministry. When people are invested in the outcome, then they will get involved. When the outcomes personally effects them, or those they care about, they will happily invest their time, talents and finances.

When a ministry has trouble getting people involved, it's probably because the ministry doesn't impact the lives of those in the church or is felt as vital for the community.

No comments: