Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Why the census matters if you’re a Christian

Tonight is the NIGHT OF THE YEAR!

Census night.

An event, held every five years, where the populous is threatened with a fine if they don’t provide the government with their data.

Of course, as a Studies of Religion teacher, I have to have a special fondness for census data.

I teach on it extensively.

I prepare my students to answer questions based upon it.

I produce a think handout of census graphs and charts annually.

But, census night is important beyond being fuel for SoR multiple choice questions.

The census is an important snapshot of the country.

The census is a vital source of information for determining where resources are allocated.

And, as a person o faith, the census is of greater importance.

For, it’s an opportunity…

To - literally - be counted.

To have your voice herd.

To bring attention to the number of religious people in the country.

To see the trends across the nation.

To accurately reflect the amount of unpaid contributions that Christian’s provide to their community.

To assist the government wisely discern where religious schools, aged care facilities, chaplains and critics should be located, resourced and funded.

The census provided unite opportunity for the religious voice to be numbered, considered no reflected in the outlook of Australia.

This, if nothing else, should make every religious person take the census seriously.

But, as I’ll explain tomorrow, the pesky question about religion as a colourful past and a murky present.


No comments: