Wednesday, July 29, 2026

When you hear about my future reading plan you’ll think I’m crazy

2022-2027.

Six years.

This is how long my current structured bible reading program is.

At the moment I’ve just finished reading and studying the gospel of Luke. 

I’m now kicking off a fortnight reading about the theories of atonement.

Anywhere within 2022-2027, I can tell you - with a degree of confidence - which part of the bible I should be reading/studying.

December 2026? Galatians.

July 2027? Zachariah.

July 2022? Jonah.

February 2023? The first 20 chapters of Exodus.

Now, for some, this will seem far too structured.

Perhaps it is.

But, within the plan there has been some flexibility built in.

Originally, it was a five year plan that has expanded into six.

This endeavour to read the entire bible - and then digest at least one commentary on the text - is just the start of my overarching plan.

For, I have mapped out something which may sound borderline insane.

I can tell you what I’d like to read - for every year - until 2055.

Yes… the next quarter century.

But, 2028 onwards has a lot of variety.

2028-mid 2029 is a series of male biblical personality overviews.

2041 is the female equivalent of personally overviews.

Across various methods (which I’ll blog about soon), I’ll aim to read the entire bible across 2029, 2031, 2033, 2037, 2041, 2044 & 2048.

I’ll divide future years across all the books of the bible - usually with three books per year - between 2030 and 2047.

Across the years I’ll aim to read a book or two on leadership, theology, a “classical” text and a selection of modern authors.

Additionally, I’ll also get to drill down on intentionally on apologetics in 2034, 2035, 2036 and church history in 2047.

But, you may have noted, I’ve not yet mentioned anything about the 2050’s.

Simply? I’ll repeat the original reading plan from 2022-2027.

On average, this should result I me reading half a dozen books, studying three biblical books, making notes on two theological topics and plow through a large chuck of the books currently sitting in my library collecting dust.

While it may seem too structured for some, it works for me. For, until I intentionally plotted out what I wanted to do, the vast majority of years prior to 2022 were sporadic at best.


No comments: