Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Why you shouldn’t ride solo

Last week I went to a training day for early teachers.

And it was… boring.

Despite the decent content.

Despite the engaging presenters.

Despite the nice people hosting.

Despite the lovely location.

It. Was. Boring.

Why?

Because I was there alone.

I travelled in alone.

I sat alone.

I ate lunch alone.

I left alone.

But, this wasn’t the worst thing. As an introvert, being without constant company is something I can contently live with.

The worst thing about being alone was what I missed out on. 

There was no one to constructively chat with.

No one to contextualise what you heard.

No one to bounce ideas off.

No one to hear their perspective.

No one to point out the odd things you notice.

And, this absence cheapens the experience.

For, others widen your experience.

It doesn’t matter if it is an educational training event, the University tutorial or a church service. Others enhance your enjoyment and engagement.

Truely, it was not good for this man to be alone… and riding solo is something I’d seek to avoid in the future.

No comments: