Wednesday, May 18, 2022

What do you do with a bible you are throwing out?

Last week there was a “controversy” in a small corner of the internet.

Someone, rather innocently, dared to ask what you should with a bible you are going to throw away.

With the internet being the place of gentleness that it is, keyboards quickly armed themselves with digital flamethrowers.

Some said that you could simply dispose of a bible, like you would any book. Recycle it thoughtfully. 

These people were declared heretics.

Others said that you should do everything to preserve the pages of scripture.

These people were declared heretics.

A few dared to share that you could use the bible creatively and utilise the pages in a mural or artwork.

These people were declared heretics.

Personally, I have thrown away bibles in a range of contexts. 

When I’ve moved, and downsized my library, some bibles haven’t survived the transition.

I’ve worked at churches where, due to overuse, age or teenage enthusiasm, bibles needed to be replaced.

After a few decades of being a Christian I’ve had a few bibles which have been retired.

I don’t think it’s that big an issue.

Put simply, don’t treat the bible disrespectfully. But, at the same time, recognise that it is just a book made up on ink and paper.

The bible, in itself, holds no special power. It may be sentimental, but the bible isn’t the equivalent of an Infinity Stone.

The message within hold the power.

Frankly, my phone holds these words. In fact, my phone contains far more bibles than any bookshelf or most churches. And, I’ll dispose of an old phone without a second thought to my “precious” bible app.

Ideally, if a bible is in good condition, you can hopefully find a way to ensure your old bible can be placed in the hands of another. You donate it. You give it away.

Ultimately, you don’t burn the old bible or kick it down the street, but I’m not offended in the least by someone placing their old bible in the recycling bin.

No comments: