Tuesday, December 2, 2014

All moments aren't the same

4 Sunday morning services, preaching and leading...
25 Sunday evening sermons...
45 Sundays leading the evening service...
38 weeks of youth group...
1 Lock in...
38 weeks of Friday afternoon children's activities...
40 weeks of Sunday morning children's activities...
1 annual kid's morning service...
3 Easter services...
1 Christmas Day service...
1 Christmas Eve Family service...
2 Leader's weekends...
140 primary aged school scripture lessons..
30 high school lunchtime groups...
50 high school scripture lessons...
Guest speaking at a regional event...
Speaking at one camp...

My job is full of events and speaking gigs; these are the ones which came off the top of my head.
And every one, of course, isn't identical.

Many are routine.
Others are special.
Some are extra significant.

Whenever I'm speaking about sex or relationships.
Whenever I'm speaking about suffering and sharing about the tough times in my life - like when my Dad died and we had two miscarriages in the space of a year.
Whenever I'm presenting the gospel and asking for a specific response.
Whenever I give the one, and currently only, talk which starts with me singing.
Whenever it's the first or last regular event of the year.
Whenever you're presenting at a special occasion.
Whenever the church is full of visitors, like Christmas and Easter.

On these weightier moments the stress is higher.
You feel the nerves increase.
You do extra prep.
You arrive extra early.

But, you're also even more satisfied, and grateful to God, when they go off as planned.

No comments: