Monday, October 29, 2012

Daughter, lend me your ears

I get it... families are busy.
I get it... being at church on time can be an ordeal if you have kids.

But... there have been more weeks than I can recall, at numerous churches I've been attached with, when there have been no kids for the children's talk (even if they do arrive immediately after the talk).

So, the primary option is to throw out a light-hearted quip about the "the young at heart" or "those who are short, and would like a better view" and quickly proceede like nothing was amiss.

Yesterday's gimmick to overcome the no-children-in-church dilemma was to sit my seven month old daughter in front of me and give her the children's address.

For the most part it worked.

It showed off Hanna's latest talent of sitting unsupported, allowed me to expand the talk to include some of the sermon content and was damn cute.

I imagine I'm not the first leader of a church service who has personally provided the youngsters for the kids talk.

No comments: