Sunday, October 14, 2012

Celebrating in the rear-view

I remember having a conversation with a fellow youth minister a year after he transitioned into a new position. He was telling me about the state of his old church. He smirked as he described its downhill spiral.

And I felt awkward.

For I admit that I've been jealous of the success of my successors. I've been tainted with disappointed upon hearing that a stubborn teen has got involved once I departed or a troop of volunteers offer to help out.

But... I don't care how much you've been jerked around by a church... you should never wish to see the ministry you helped shape, and more importantly, the people you were called to care for, go backwards.

If we truly believe that we're not in competition with the "guy down the road" and are focused on "Kingdom growth" then we should celebrate the advancement of a church once we ride off into the sunset. Surely...

No comments: