Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tweak support

This week I've been dropping in and out of a conference and a recurring topic has been resourcing those in ministry.

Being a national gathering, it was obviously noted that any Australia-wide resource won't fit into every context.

An urban based resource won't sit neatly into a rural or bush setting.
A resource which pictures a youth group of 50 kids won't fit smoothly into a church of five disconnected youth.

Youth ministries are different. They happen at alternate times and with various numbers of kids and leaders.

This is why I feel that ANY widely produced resource needs to especially focus on two things.

First, the things we have in common no matter where you are. I widely publicised resource should major on the majors.

And second, how the group leader can tweak any resource provided.

I get sent scripture lessons for my upcoming classes by the co-ordinator.
Every week I get flooded with potential resources by email.
My bookshelves are choc full of curriculums and programs from all over the globe.
Thousands of games and bible studies are no more than a Google search away.

And every activity gets amended to fit my particular setting.
And personally, that's okay, since I enjoy doing it and have the time it takes.

But for a someone who leads the lone bible study for the three kids at their church, surely those who produce resources should give equal amount of thought, resources and support to those who will need to tweak what they provide.

No comments: