Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Label your theology

A few times I've been asked to label where I am on the theological spectrum.

Whenever I'm asked to slap a title on myself I default to three...
Evangelical.
Conservative.
Closer to Arminianism than Calvinism.

But trouble arises with the confusing subjectiveness of these terms. To two different people these terms can mean dramatically different things.

What is an evangelical? Is it someone who believes that sharing the message of Jesus is a positive to be encouraged or someone who forces their beliefs on others?

What is a conservative? Who is it compared with? Just because I may be conservative compared to many within my denomination, where does my theology place me compared with others both locally and internationally?

If I'm not totally sold on the five points of Calvinism? Do I slip into four-point Calvinism? And what if I don't agree fully with full blown Arminianism?

And, of most concern, the question of labels means nothing to the majority of non-Christians and are only used as a means to divide believers.

No comments: