Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thanks for the offering?

I'm been meaning to post on this for a while and have been inspired to do so by this resource from Giving Rocket.

Should a church thank those who give money in church?

I'm torn because I think the church doesn't value the sacrifice many faithful believers DO financially make. If... even if only once... a congregation were thanked by the leadership of the church for their faithful offerings, this would make a huge difference in the lives of those who feel that their contribution is being taken for granted.

BUT... I'm also pulled in another direction.

Why should a church thank God's people (putting first time givers or new converts aside) for doing what God commands them to do?

I don't know the answer, but I'm tempted to try it out and see what response I get.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Absolutely. God loves a cheerful giver and so should we.

Beyond that, it's a matter of human relations... if you ask someone to do something (contribute money to a church related project you're running, move over so you can sit down in the train, pass the salt, donate a kidney, or whatever), and they do it, then you should say "thank you".


It's polite. It's human.

Graham said...

Anonymous,

Good points. Really good.

I wonder how many churches a)think the same way you do and b)show that by their actions?