Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Finishing lines?

You may notice that, with fatherhood, my posts are slightly less frequent and posted progressively later at night.

With that said, on with today's Ramble...

When I made my list of youth ministry drop out points, I missed one. Confirmation and baptism.

I've seen it before and heard about it happening at plenty of other churches.
Confirming or baptising young people out of the church...

Today I was thinking about the drop out points and how they might come about. One thing which sprung to mind was the, sometimes unhelpful, segmentation of our activities.

You "graduate" from kids club.
You "grow out" of youth group.
You "become" the demographic of a alternative church service.
You "achieve" the piece of paper.

If we set up a system where you can "finish," then is there any reason why we are surprised if people leave once "completed"?

No comments: