Thursday, April 12, 2012

The essential toolkit of a community worker

This is not an original thought which was birthed our of the depths of my subconscious. I've previously heard this idea touted by the regional advisor (for lack of a better term) for the denomination I work for and weaseled into my mind whist gardening this afternoon.

When churches want to connect with people in their locality, they often look to hire a "community" based worked.

As I keep thinking about the nature of modern ministry and how it looks within a context where people are increasingly wary to "enter our turf" cold, I think these "community" based position are increasingly important.

As I ponder these roles, two vital things spring to mind in equipping these ministry agents.

First, spend the cash to do a barista course and hire a coffee cart. Use this to encounter people. Go to the local park. Hang out at local sporting events and shopping centers.

Second, learn how to have spiritual conversations. This could come in the form of doing evangelistic or apologetic courses, but it need not. The aim isn't primarily to "dump the gospel on them." The aim is to meet people where they are at and engage them where God is already working.

Oddly, enough these two are linked as relationships are developed over a quality cup of mocca.

No comments: