Saturday, October 21, 2023

The continuing ministry of your first church

A few weeks ago I went to a morning service of my home church.

While this was the church I first attended, and held my first youth ministry position in, I haven’t darkened the doors in around a decade.

Needless to say, some things had changed.
A coat of paint.
A renovation.
Some people had passed away.

But, some things were the same.
Some familiar faces.
Some familiar furnishings.
Some ongoing ministries.

But, as I sat up the back of church, I got nostalgic.
I remembered those who had impacted my youth faith and fledging ministry career.

This is the ongoing ministry of your home church.

The loving example of Mary and Warwick.
The example of service by Norm and Maureen.
The passion of John.
The generosity of John and Nancy.
The burning sense of justice by Gwen.
The warmth of Samanglee.
The leadership of Derek.
The quiet strength of Heather.
The hard-work of Bruce.

There are many more faces who showed me what it was to be a faithful Christian.
They showed me what it was to be a church.
They showed me what it was to serve. To love. To be generous. To care. To give a young kid a change he probably didn’t deserve.

This is the lasting imprint, and ongoing ministry, of my home church.


No comments: