Sunday, October 15, 2023

How I will be explaining yesterday’s “No”

As I anticipated in yesterday’s post about the referendum, the vote was decided in the negative.

Having voted yes, I think it’s not the best (if not bravest) decision. But, as of right now, it’s the path Australia has decided.

So, how am I going to explain the outcome?

How will I explain it to the students in my classroom? 

How will I explain the outcome to my children?

How will I explain it to my grandchildren?

In part, most of my explanation way laid out yesterday.

The government did a woeful job in clearly justifying what they wanted the people to agree to.

The government, in light of history, should never have announced a referendum without bipartisan agreement.

This, of course, leads to the most important element when discussing the result last night…

People voted no on The Voice.

They didn’t vote no on indigenous people.

The idea was rejected.

Not the people primarily affected.

Now, as a white person, I’m not in a place to say how indigenous people feel about the outcome.

I’ve got no doubt that some, even a large portion, of the ATSI population feel jilted about the referendum.

But, nonetheless, this was a rejection of an idea of government.

A poorly explained idea.

And, the people said no.

This is their right in a democracy.

This would be my final point in the explanation.

You don’t have to like the outcome in a democracy.

In fact, quite often you’ll find yourself in the minority after an election.

Unless your political seat is constantly being held by the victorious national and state governments, then your vote probably went to the overall “losers” of the election.

It will happen often over your voting lifetime.

You have to be able to deal with that outcome.

This is how democracy works.

Even if you don’t like the result.

Even if it makes you angry.

Or disappointed.

Democracy is bigger than you.

And democracy is what people have fought for and died defending.

Yesterday what about democracy.

Messy, disagreeable, democracy.

No comments: