Wednesday, November 9, 2022

The perks of owning your own classroom

A decade ago I wrote that a preacher needs to own the room.

The same is true for a teacher.

But, currently, I don’t have an assigned room.

I’m like a man without a country. A teaching orphan. 

But I wish I did have a room.

A place I could consider “home”.

A place to decorate.

A place to display assignments.

A place to be proud of.

A place of routine.

A place of consistency.

A place to be dictatorial over the placement of the tables.

But mainly… I want a space that is… mine.

A place I somewhat own.

A place of regularity.

A place where my students will meet me, not me rushing to meet them… somewhere.

A place to store what I need.

A place to stash what I’ve found.

A place which my classes will be familiar with.

A place with visual reminders of what we learn about and what they are expected to produce.

These are the perks of having your own space.

No comments: