Saturday, December 11, 2021

How does internal silence effect prayer?

For the last fortnight I've been walking the streets reading gas meters - a job I haven't done for the last five years.

Weirdly, this is very cyclic since it was a task like this that resulted in this blog.

Now I'm back walking the streets with nothing more than my thoughts.

As the hours pass your mind drifts to strange places. 

Lately my mind has laboured about those who have no internal dialogue. It's a genuine thing. For real.

I wonder what effect this has on prayer.

I ponder this because when I pray while meandering the suburbs, it can - frankly - sometimes feel like I'm talking to myself.

But, I know what that feels like.

I chat with myself.

I argue with myself.

I bicker with myself.

And, this is, apparently, normal.

But, how does prayer feel for those who are unfamiliar with the feeling of internal chatter?

Is prayer improved because they don't tune out of prayer as often?

Do they feel more connected because they only primarily communicate with those who are in attendance?

Is prayer more difficult because they are unfamiliar with nattering into the ether (which prayer can feel like)?

Just like my conundrum about evangelising believers with amnesia, I suspect I'll never find someone who fits the demographic to ask how the situation works.

But. I would be intrigued find out how it works and, more importantly, how prayer is different...

No comments: