Monday, February 13, 2023

What do you do in the presence of minor heresy?

My theology is not perfect.

I’m sure that most people, if you trawled this blog deeply enough, would find something they would disagree with. Some may even go so far as to declare that something that I’ve written has ridden the border of heretical.

That being said…

Last weekend I accidentally wandered into a church service where they stated things which I didn’t theologically agree with.

So, what do you do then???

Do you silently accept?

Do you wilfully ignore?

Do you inwardly reject?

Do you vocally object?

In part, it depends on the context.

In a small group setting, you can unleash your contrary opinion. You can openly challenge. You can engage in discussion. That’s the advantage of smaller settings.

But, you may not be able to do this in a larger setting like a church service.

Personally, I usually inwardly reject.

I may follow along with a prayer… but reject the segments where they will invite Mary to intercede on my behalf.

I will celebrate a baptism… but reject if it is insinuated that baptism is required for salvation.

I will reject transubstantiation. 

I will reject tongues as a necessary sign of salvation.

Usually, these are expressed as an inward “NOPE” whenever a troublesome piece of theology raises its head.

But… it will remain silent.

Why?

Because, most issues of contrary theology is not a core issue. They are periphery. They are not salvation issues.

To my faithful brothers and sisters in the faith, my silent rejection is far more respectful than a boisterous objection. 

No comments: